A distinguished exponent of Vazhuvur Ramaiah Pillai School of Bharatanatyam, Revathi Narasimhan has come a long way since her Arangetram at the age of nine. If her solo performances at the reputed sabhas of Madras (Chennai) brought laurels to her Guru Smt. Kausalya, it also brought smiles of contentment to her encouraging parents. Her close to four decades of yeomen service in the field of dance training has produced a galaxy of Bharatanatyam stars – Doordarshan artists, State rank holders and more than 50 students who have performed their Rangapravesham.
Choreography and Abhinaya
From this Guru par excellence, choreography and Abhinaya surges forth as a natural and spontaneous overflow. Her Ballets such as Surajya Swarajya, Kannagiya Kalandhuge, Shantidootha Yesu and Sarvam Krishnamayam are a sure proof of this. Apart from these, her varnams, padams, Javalis and Keerthanas add that touch of tradition to her creative repertoire. These renditions are at once highly imaginative and yet uncompromising on the aesthetics and the sanctity of the lyrical compositions. Her lecture demonstrations on Abhinaya have also been highly acclaimed for their lucidity and command over this art. Guru Revathi has served in evaluation panels of eminent institutions such as Sangeetha Nruthya Academy.
Performance by Disciples
Her uncompromising insistence on perfection and at the same time her inclination to groom individual styles and creativity has shaped careers, moulded minds and paved the path of success for many a sincere disciples of this complex art form.
With her authoritative guidance and Nattuvangam her disciples have rendered memorable performances in many festivals organized by ICCR, Directorate of Kannada and culture and other Cultural Organisations of repute. Her remarkable innovations and choreography presented at very short notice is a measure of her competence.
A happy homemaker and a mother of three, her brilliant career in Bharatanatyam is an inspiration to many young artists who have secretly doubted the wisdom of their choice. Guru Revathi herself truly believes that this art has the potential for supreme fulfillment only to those who approach it as a sincere ‘tapas’ and sustain a never ending quest for its inner meaning.
Awards and Recognitions
In recognition of her services in the field of Bharatanatyam, she was awarded
- ‘Karnataka Kalashree’ title in 1999 by the Karanataka Sangeetha Nruthya Academy
- Prashamsa Pathra-2004 by Karnataka Nrithya Kala Parishat
- Karnataka Rajyothsava Award – 2005, the Karnataka Rajya Prashasthi
- Karnataka Seva Puraskara- 2005 by Aashraya Seva Trust
- The Outstanding Achievers Award- 2005 by Abhyudaya, Bangalore
- Aryabhatta Prashasthi- 2006 by aaryabhatta Saamskritha Samsthe, Bangalore
- Swananda Kalashree- 2006 by Shree Swananda Ashrama, Brengaluru
- Swara Kala Gaurava- 2009 by Saraswathi Sangeetha Vidhyalaya
- Prashasthi Pathra 2010 by Shree D Subbaramaiah Fine Arts Trust
- Kala Prapoorne 2012 by Natyalaya Urva, Mangalore
- Guru Vandana Pathra- 2014 by Visdhathmana Aathmeeyara Vrinda on 9.11.2014